Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tappan; In the car; With the Revolver

It was bound to happen.  I started a blog, primarily about music, I'm a few posts in and haven't yet even mentioned The Beatles, and so now, it would seem, is the time.  Many of you who know me know that I'm trying to limit how much I say about music being objectively good, or better than other music, but rather stress my tastes in the matter.  For instance, I'll try not to just straight up tell people that OK Computer is easily the best album of the '90s; but rather that it is certainly my favorite, and if you prefer, for example, Loveless by My Bloody Valentine, that's your prerogative I suppose.

That said, I will cling to one thing that I consider to be objective musical fact, and that is that The Beatles are better than everyone else.  They are the greatest band that has ever existed.  No one has had the sheer amount of success they had.  No one completely redefined popular music with each successive album they put out.  No one had more number one singles.  At one point in April of 1964, they had the top five singles on the billboard charts and the top two albums all at once.  They were unreasonably innovative, doing countless things for the first time on recordings which later became staples in the industry.  I could go on with stats like this that no other band can boast, and then list the things that are just my own personal opinion--for instance how pop music had never had harmonies like that before them, how their songs are just simply more creative than anyone else's, how each member of the band wrote songs and sang lead, and how, to me, they just sound better than anything else anybody's come up with.  I'm not saying that you can't like a band better than The Beatles, because people like what they like and that's great; but I am saying that The Beatles are better.

I did a lot of driving this past weekend.  I didn't have a lot of cd's in my car and was sick of the radio, so as a result, I listened to Revolver by The Beatles at least 4 times start-to-finish.  You may say that this is excessive, but I wasn't bored for an instant.  As it wrapped up the first time, I thought about trying out the radio, but then I just let it cycle back to "Taxman", and tried to imagine that I was in 1966 when it came out, hearing for the first time that voice come in "One...Two...Three...Four...One...Two..." with noises and coughs in the background, and then "BAM" exploding guitar chords, and that bass hook that drives and carries the song (something that pretty much never happened pre-McCartney, btw).  I guess people older than myself were actually around, and got to experience this sensation, and could probably say some more authoritative things about it, but I can't even imagine hearing this album not knowing about what came after; not knowing what to expect from it.  I mean think about it, you've only had 9 months to recover from the shock of Rubber Soul coming on the scene, and now you have to cope with the fact that they've progressed way past that!?  No album before Revolver is even on the same plane of existence as Revolver (this could also then be said of Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road...).  I mean you've got bands like The Beach Boys and The Rolling Stones catching on by this time, but they were always a few steps behind and a few great songs shy of The Beatles.  Nothing sounded close to this album at its release, and you just know this is gonna be an album that changes everything when your mind is first blown with the opening of "Taxman", one of the first hard rock songs ever, which by the way was written by probably the third-best song-writer in the group.  Then "Eleanor Rigby" comes in, and I get chills.  Every time.  And what's that? The only instruments are a string octet?  I don't know anybody who's given Eleanor Rigby a solid listen and concluded that it's anything shy of an incredible song, and frankly, I don't care to.  Then comes "I'm Only Sleeping", a sort of psychedelic-era precursor by John, with that great jangly guitar, and some of the first backwards guitar ever. Not to get in a rut, "Love You To" comes next, starting out with that favorite of pop-instruments: the sitar.  So by this time we've had four incredible songs that could really each be given its own genre.  By the sixth track, each member of the band has sung lead on a song.  I find it somewhat unfortunate that now it's almost universal to have "the singer" of a band.  If one posed the question "Which one of you is the singer?" to The Beatles, they wouldn't know how to respond. (Well, they would probably say something terribly witty and off-the-cuff, but I don't know how to respond)  That question doesn't make any sense for them.  They all sing.  They all sing lead.  They all sing harmony.  They each have a great voice, perfect for the respective songs on which they sing lead.

Let's see, what else might this album have?  Does it have a song with a tight horn section? Yup, "Got to Get You Into My Life".  How about a beautiful French Horn solo in the middle of a heart-wrenching ballad? Oh yea, "For No One" has that.  What about an incredibly underrated song with wonderful bass parts and harmony guitar that, to me, sounds better than anything any Allman's ever did? Oh right, nobody even talks about "And Your Bird Can Sing", even though it's a better song than the best songs most bands even dream of writing.  How about the drums on the album though...wasn't Ringo really a pretty weak drummer?  No.  And stop listening to that slander.  Just listen to "She Said She Said" and tell me that that's not great drumming.  You're not going to get the outrageously extravagant wild-man drumming like that of Keith Moon or John Bonham out of Ringo, but you'll also never get boring, second-rate drums that are anything less than exactly what a song needs.

All in all, I just didn't care to stop listening to Revolver while I was driving.  I haven't heard anything terribly interesting come out since Helplessness Blues, which you all know I doted, rather thoroughly, on a bit ago (though I hear I should check out the new Bon Iver) and so I didn't have anything new and exciting to be getting acquainted with.  I didn't have much else interesting to put in the old cd player, and so I just let Revolver revolve; and this 45 year old album, even four times in a row, still sounded fresher and more pleasant to me than pretty much anything else I could have been listening to.  It's one of the greatest albums of all time, certainly better than anything that's come out in my lifetime, and a fine selection from the greatest band of all time.

By the way, I think I'd probably say that it's my third favorite Beatles album...

4 comments:

  1. If you want to hear a great concert, catch The Fab Faux (A band led by the bass player in David Letterman's band). We got to hear them in concert doing Revolver start to finish. They sounded exactly like the origal album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Revolver review, Tappan !!!!!!!

    Yes, I was 13 and heard Revolver right when it came out in 1966. And yes, Rubber Soul was heretofore my favorite album ever. But nothing at the time prepared me for Revolver. That included the fact that I had already heard "I'm Only Sleeping", "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Dr. Robert" on the Yesterday and Today album and loved them.

    But the U.S. Capitol record label had cherry picked three of the most accessible songs for release on that album. So hearing the U.S. Revolver without those three songs was jarring indeed, and a far different experience than hearing the correct UK version.

    So at the time I was stunned. At first I didn't like it. Yes, I loved "Eleanor Rigby" and "Got to Get You Into My Life", but the coughing that started "Taxman"? The sitar on "Love You To"? A kiddie song, "Yellow Submarine"? The off-key vocals on "For No One" and guitar on "I Want to Tell You"? And what was with "Tomorrow Never Knows"? That might have been the beginning of prog !!!!!!!!

    It took me awhile, but I eventually loved it all and was ready for "Strawberry Fields" (Ringo's drumming pinacle !!!!!!) a few months later and then Sgt. Pepper. So Revolver did more to further my musical education than any other album ever, with the possible exception of King Crimson's first album, Court of the Crimson King.

    But I still never got the complete Revolver experience until about 15 years later when I cobbled up a cassette with all 14 songs in the correct order, and even then some of the mixes were wrong (particularly "Dr. Robert") until I heard the CD a few years after that.

    So I never got that pure unadulterated shock from Revolver. In contrast to Rubber Soul, where I actually like the US version I first heard more than the UK version.

    BTW - I'd say the Yardbirds beat the Beatles on hard rock (Jeff Beck, Keith Relf and Co.) and the vocal harmonies were more inspired than not by the Everly Brothers, but I'm nitpicking here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you have heard me rave about Revolver. It is my favorite Beatles album in a very tight race. it was the first CD I ever bought. I think my LP version was a handoff from the above contributor Gerald. And now I have the remix of a year or two ago. Simply put, this one had it all. Good time good day sunshine music, float-downstream psychedelia, chamber music, kiddie music, and the song with the hook I cannot escape (and don't want to), Taxman. I am surprised the Tea Partiers have not co-opted that song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I thought my Revolver 12 incher was in a box in the basement. I didn't know you had it. Anyway, it's totally beat, wherever it is, although the Klaus Voorman artwork is fine in its 12 inch splendor.

    Correction: The off-key instrument on "I Want to Tell You" is piano, not guitar. I think I was confusing the Ted Nugent cover version, speaking of right wing tea partiers.

    And Ben, I think I agree with you now. Revolver is the Beatles best ever. I would have never said that for the first 20 years or so, but I think now I'm convinced. Abbey Road is too slick, the White Album is too solo, Mystery Tour is too cobbled, and Sgt. Pepper is too dated. But they're all great though, of course.

    ReplyDelete