Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Another Brick In (Blog On) The Wall (Internet)

So my name is William and I love music.  Well, that statement should be made with certain conditions.  I love some music. But when I love it, I do so pretty enthusiastically.  I also have some pretty strong feelings time-to-time about music I less than love.  If you know me well (or even kinda) you've probably talked to me about music at one time or another, whether that be playing it, listening to it, watching it happen, etc.  If that's the case, it's also likely that (unless we agree pretty splendidly on things aural) I may have bored you considerably by rambling on about whatever it is I may have been fascinated by at the time; or conversely, may have deeply offended you, as I admittedly need to work on my tact when my opinion of what may be others' favorites is unfavorable.

 I've considered a "music blog" before, and always decided against.  But I was considering such an endeavor probably under delusions of grandeur.  "I'll make society see where it's gone so wrong in the realm of pop music."  "I'll enlighten the world as to what they should be listening to, and why they should be listening to it!"  "I know a thing or two about music, people should want to see how I can so cleverly and elegantly enlighten them."

The fact is, this is certainly not the point of this blog.  Nothing in my experience makes me any more credible to write anything about music than anyone else.  For instance, a good friend of mine writes a blog about the Washington Nationals (Here ya go Yodes: The Nats Blog).  He studied journalism in college, and knows what he's talking about when it comes to sports.  I'm pretty sure he does things like "research" on stats and brush up on the players about whom he will write.

The same cannot be said concerning myself and this blog.  I simply love some music (and dislike some music) to the point where I sometimes get worked up and just feel that I need to share some thoughts about it!  For example, today, the album Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes officially came out.  I realized on Sunday that it had become available to stream on NPR, and have done so approximately 6 times as of now, and today after school I immediately went to a record store to purchase the vinyl (yes, I'm one of those people).  The point is, I love this album.  I immediately loved this album when I first heard it.  I was sitting on my couch with headphones on unconsciously exclaiming things like "wow!" throughout.  Over the past couple days I've talked to all  my friends who share my love for this particular band, but felt let down that all of society just doesn't get it and is just simply not going nuts over this album like I am.  I began accosting people whom I know didn't care.

This sort of behavior got me thinking how I probably bore people on a regular basis when I just won't shut up (I would like to say that to some extent I don't think it's controllable, sorry).  Additionally, how I sometimes can't reign it in before I go and insult that "beautiful song that was your first dance at your wedding".  So really, this blog is a method by which I am tricking myself.  The idea is as follows: when I get into "overexcited puppy left alone for 10 hours and my master just got home exuberant" mode about something I like, I can talk to the friends who care, elaborate on here, and leave the innocent bystanders alone.  When a song or album is so bad (to me) that I'm offended and upset by its very being, I can vent on here.  Then, if you read it and are bored, or offended, you've come here by choice and it's your own fault.  So that's the goal friends: to leave well enough alone in the real world when that's merited by putting the thoughts on here.  Even if no one reads my ramblings, I can feel that I've done my duty in proclaiming the brilliance (or utter awfulness) of something, and no one else will be affected.  If you do want to read though, great! I'd love to have you.  But be warned, I won't be worried about offending your music here (remember, you can just navigate away to grooveshark, and listen to it to spite me).  I welcome comments, and even criticisms of what I say, and would love to hear your thoughts as well.  Lastly, I reserve the right to write about other things sometimes as well, because after all, it's my blog, and the "ic" in musicings is in parentheses for a reason.  So good night internet, and go give Helplessness Blues a listen before my next post. (you'll never guess what it's going to be about)

1 comment:

  1. Whoa. First comment. What an honor. Will provide a link from streetpolo, although our demographics may diverge...

    ReplyDelete